Thursday 26 September 2013

The Crumpet's 33DC Day 3 Tape Mani

Hello polish lovers!

Today is day 3 of the 33 Day Challenge I am working on.  By the way, things are about to get Crazy because starting October 1 I will be participating in the Hallow e'en challenge that was posted on Crumpet's Nail Tarts and here is the run down:

Mon 01/10 - Trick or Treats (candy corn etc)
Thurs 04/10 - Black Cats
Tues 09/10 - Zombies
Thurs 11/10 - Witches
Tues 16/10 - Freestyle Halloween
Thurs 18/10 - Things That Go Bump In The Night (Monsters Etc)
Tues 23/10 - Pumpkins
Thurs 25/10 - Blood/Gore/Splatter
Sat 27/10 - Influenced by Scary Movie
Wed 31/10 Recreate your fave mani (your own or someone else's)

I am super excited for this because I love Hallow e'en, I mean really love Hallow e'en, the costumes, the candy and most especially watching Rocky Horror Picture Show and Hocus Pocus(Opposite ends of the spectrum but I love them both).

Anyway, on to today's mani and the theme of using tape to create your designs. I will say that I have never used tape before, I have always used stripers but it was a chance for me to go outside my polish box and try something new. It also gave me an excuse to open the striping tape I got in a giveaway from My Boyfriend Hates Makeup.

3 coats OPI's Kyoto Pearls
I started with a base coat of OPI's Kyoto Pearls, which is a sheer pearl-ized white that required 3 coats and still had a slight visible nail line. I liked the polish but it is not a great formula, too sheer and yet very brush stroke heavy, no matter how careful I was. I let that dry then added my striping tape in a variety of interesting Art Deco designs(however I don't think I let it dry enough because I ran into a bit of trouble when I pulled off the tape after applying my secondary colour).

Tape Design and China Glaze Tongue & Chic
I painted over my tape using China Glaze Tongue & Chic from their fall collection(the only colour I have so far but I love it!). Tongue & Chic is a dark teal polish that is perfect for fall and opaque in 2 coats. Unlike the polish, I do not love my finished result, I think the next time I do this I will use my Seche Vite and a more opaque colour to aid in drying time and wait longer before I apply the tape.

That's all for today! I will be back on Sunday with my next Falling For Nail Art Challenge mani, the theme is Crunchy Leaves. Until then, polish happy!


1 comment: